This post was inspired by Julieanne’s story about how music can take you back.
A couple of years ago while cleaning out the garage, I found a mixtape that one of my oldest friends made me when we were in high school. So many memories came flooding back as I read the song titles handwritten on the insert inside the plastic case. I wanted to make a mixed tape for today’s post, but I guess now we make playlists.
This playlist is not made up of songs associated with the most important memories of my life, nor is it the “best” music of each time period. If you’re a music aficionado you may even be insulted by some of my choices. They’re just songs that take me back, back to happier times, sadder times, times of stress, times of pure joy.
Here are some of the memories that these songs conjure up for me. Which songs go with which memories? I’ll let you make it up.
• trying out inappropriate songs for the talent show in elementary school
• calling KIIS-FM to request the same song over and over again
• first concert ever
• high school dances
• my high school sweetheart’s mixtapes
• teaching aerobics at the Wooden Center
• going to concerts with my sisters when they were finally old enough
• taking swing dance classes
• getting divorced
• going to concerts with my husband
• going to the Pantages Theatre
• running the Los Angeles Marathon with Students Run LA
• feeling the freedom of turning 50
If you want to take a listen you can click here for the Spotify playlist. Enjoy!